Thursday, October 06, 2011

Who else is going in circles over Google + ?

Mick-circles

I have been so negligent in diving into Google Plus - excuse me . . . Google +  I'm old school, spelling it out versus using symbols or acronyms seems more natural.  

This past week I had to run up to my son's school when I saw the shirt and my first question was - when are you getting a hair cut?  . . . . noooo, kidding I would never do that.  Actually it was: "Do you have one for me?" ( it's all about me after all, plus I'm contributing to this college experience with hard earned $$$$ so where's my shirt hippy? ) But alas there were no more new cool Google T-shirts with the circle logo promoting the Google + services - so all I got was this lousy image of a shirt and a kid with long hair - not the T-Shirt.

I digress, in a recent presentation we came upon the topic of Google + as compared to Facebook and I quickly pushed the question away stating the "what and how" wasn't as important as the "why" and tried to focus the group on understanding the "why" in which they wanted to promote and market their various causes and don't worry about the "what".  But I may have been wrong in making so hastily a comment - after all, if you understand what the tools can DO perhaps that will help you come to the "why" you want or need to market.  Reverse engineering does after all have a place in how we work with tech so why not go there?

The bottom line is: we are all looking to have a conversation, that's what these tools and they do it well.  I've always been a big fan of knowing and segmenting what my peeps are all about so I can have intelligent meaningful dialog. Google + does that segmentation very well. This same way of thinking applies to many non profits looking for the same focused dialog. 

So maybe I need to take some time, rethink my circles and do something more with the hundreds of PLUSES and peeps sitting in my Google + account.  And maybe, just maybe I'll get a T-Shirt.

Michael Sola finds solutions and can translate tech into english. He's a blogger, invited presenter and speaker, he listens - he also rarely has to show ID to walk into a pub. Follow him at http://twitter.com/michaelsola orhttp://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelsola : his views and comments are his own. He doesn't like talking about himself in the 3rd person, just ask him.

No comments: