Friday, October 28, 2011

When your password gets hacked . . . don't be lazy and don't be using 123456, that's mine!

Goodaccounts_gonebad

I remember about 6 maybe 7 years ago - I had this extremely bright, gifted . . . she could be reading, talented Network Administrator / Developer who made the recommendation of using complex passwords for the organization and wrote this 4 page in-depth expose as to why and examples of how to come up with a complex password.  At first I giggled but the more I dived in I realized how big this was and all that was riding on something as simple as a password.

This was an organization that had never had complicated passwords and I'm sure a few of them were actually using the word "password" as their password.  Needless to say the change did not go over well, increased calls to the help desk were recieved, lock outs happened, there were some exceptions of course that had to be made but in the end she was right.  The need for complex passwords IS critical to prevent good accounts from going bad.

Because so much of what we did internally has moved via the external portals a complex password that didn't enforce  non repeating words, min 8 characters, caps, lower case, alpha numeric - all of it was going to be necessary if we wanted to secure our data and level of access.  This discussion was almost 7 years ago . . . . so I am always surprised when I see today so much of the social networking services that DON'T require something more complex.

The graphic I posted from e-Strategy After Hours David Erickson who publishes the e-Strategy Internet Marketing Blog and e-Strategy After Hours captures the inconsistent mess that we as consumers . . . or the "product" depending on you point of view - have to live with if we aren't creative and careful.  

Some of us, and I'm one of them, try to use the same password for many of the accounts we access, especially the ones I don't deem to be "identity theft" worthy.  But a lot of these services if hacked could become a source of embarrassment and if others are like me, if one password gets cracked for one service others like dominos are just ripe to fall.

I have seen password management tools and was recently recommended that I start using one - I'm talking about web browser applications that make remembering unique complex passwords easier but keep in mind - you are putting an awful lot out there sitting in a bunch of one and zeros as opposed to that gray matter you call your brain.

My gray matter isn't what it use to be, and as I don't trust the browser to remember the password I may turn to tools like:
  • LastPass
  • Xmark
  • Mitto Password
. . . just to name a few, either way I'm gonna have to stop using 123456 as my Facebook password, dang it!

Michael Sola finds solutions and can translate tech into english. He's a blogger, invited presenter and speaker, he listens - he also rarely has to show ID to walk into a pub. Follow him at http://twitter.com/michaelsola orhttp://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelsola : his views and comments are his own. He doesn't like talking about himself in the 3rd person, just ask him. 

No comments: