Thursday, October 13, 2011

Second star to the right and straight on to a new world! Fight CRC bound . . .

Screen_shot_2011-10-13_at_11

It's not every day one gets the opportunity to push the proverbial needle and change your career course but today is that day.

As some know, my role at National Wildlife Federation came to a disappointing halt in late August when the program reorganized and due to budgetary constraints the decision was made to focus more on a project oriented front as opposed to the operations and tech services I had been brought in to provide.  I don't have any regrets as I had the opportunity to focus on some large scale tech projects and work on national environmental challenges.  In the process I partnered with some extraordinary people who would quickly become good friends.  NWF is indeed stocked with large amounts of passion!

Providing service for the accomplishment of a noble mission has been the very cornerstone of my career and while this change hurt on a personal level, I never lost sight or hope that I would soon put my skills, passion and ingenuity to be that change agent once again.  

And I'm happy to report my soon departure from the 9.1% club of unenjoyment is coming to an end.

The last few weeks I have had the pleasure to start a dialog with an organization that redefines the dedication and passion I am looking to be part of and in a very new and exciting role not to mention a very different field.  During my college years I had worked for a small social services group in upstate New York that provided services to those in need.  Service to others was instilled early on in my career, the passion to help people who were in need but didn't know how or where to go.

Starting October 31 I will be joining Fight Colorectal Cancer based in Alexandria Va as their Vice President of Operations.  I will be succeeding Judi Sohn who has been in that role for over 6 years, sits on the NTEN board of directors, knows Convio inside and out and is a self professed Technology MacGyver.  Big shoes indeed.  I have a lot to learn and will be wearing many hats but the excitement and the services the organization provides will make the hard work so worth the effort.

The team is lead by Carlea Bauman - President and "chief firecracker", there is so much raw energy and passion it's mind blowing to be around!  I am really looking forward to partnering with Carlea and hope to repay the trust she has placed in me to help focus the organization and put all this opps and tech experience I've accumulated over the years to work in this scrappy upcoming non profit. 

The remaining team is just as passionate and I hope to share more about this committed and inspirational group who desperately want to see a cure for this horrific disease.  Colorectal Cancer is the number three most common cancer diagnosed in both men and women in the United States, a cure can happen - it will take a fight to make it so.

I have a feeling I will be taping many friends and partners as I start the learning process so be ready for my call!  While my focus in the next few months will be in learning the new territory and watching reruns of MaGyver I hope to continue being a presence in the tech field.  You can run from tech, but you can't hide!

Fight Colorectal Cancer - Get behind a cure.

www.FightColorectalCancer.org

Facebook  Twitter

Michael Sola finds solutions and can translate tech into english. He's a blogger, invited presenter and speaker, he listens - he also rarely has to show ID to walk into a pub. Follow him at http://twitter.com/michaelsola orhttp://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelsola : his views and comments are his own. He doesn't like talking about himself in the 3rd person, just ask him.

No comments: