Thursday, January 14, 2010

You are the army!

I'm slowly recovering from what was for me an exhausting yet rewarding couple of days. I had the opportunity, actually the privilege of being a member of the team that put together the very first Annual Clean Water Coalition Conference. This was over 250 people, which I swear peaked at one point to close to 350 when EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson addressed the crowd, of like minded groups and individuals who wanted to make a difference for clean water and a clean bay in our region.

For me it was a bitter sweet moment - at times it reminded me of an "alumni reunion" as so many of the folks in attendance I had worked with in some capacity while I was with my former NPO the CBF. In fact, as I was reminded on more then one occasion, they were also in the same "alumni club" being as many of them were also ex-CBF, sort of like a breeding ground of sorts! What touched me the most though, besides the reconnecting and the long hours committed to support of my new NWF team, who BTW were amazing to work, had to have been the opening keynote address by Congressman Elijah Cummings.

I had never heard the Congressman speak before and while he passionately addressed the crowded ballroom at the Renaissance M Street Hotel for almost 40 min, what I share with you here is just a small part of what he said that touched and reached me. In this video at the 1min 40 second part his passion and intonation sent shivers down my spine - here are just a few of the quotes which got me, I hope they do the same for you.

The hopelessness that exists, expectations are so low they don't expect to accomplish anything
That's why we are so important . . . making the world a better place
Do not be distracted, we are about effectiveness and efficiency
I've got too much to do and so little time to do it
Make a difference for children
We can do better
You are the army

Till next time . . . peace out.

www.choosecleanwater.org
www.nclicoalition.org/
www.beoutthere.org/

See all of Congressman Cummings address at http://www.youtube.com/choosecleanwater

Posted via web from Michael's Ramblings . . .

No comments: