Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's not easy being green . . . NTEN proves it

Right before I headed off for vacation I had worked a solid 10 days straight. So when I was asked to present a 20 min session on how NWF was implementing green technology into the program I must have been giddy or high when I said yes.

Now I have to actually put something relevant together. My friend Peter Campbell, http://techcafeteria.com/blog/ who dreams this stuff up and can do this in his sleep - see his blog for proof, amazes me with how he speaks to the level of detail and scope that the "green IT" movement plays with the NPO's we all support.

My challenge is that no matter where you look these days there is an onslaught of material and experts talking about Green IT, originality is out the proverbial window. The game is now trying to make sense of it all and find a niche that works for you.

Perhaps that will be my approach during my 20 min of fame, explaining how we are trying to use what we have and be smart when it comes to being green. I may be out in left field as I don't consider what we do to be groundbreaking - don't get me wrong, I love the opportunity to be part of NTEN in any way possible and to share what we are doing, I'm all for sharing our stories as it's how we learn.

What NTEN provides is a pool of some of the most inspiring folks who give their life blood to help promote the use of technology in our non profit world. They in fact are the ones that inspired me many many years ago to realize when it comes to tech there is more to just keeping the lights on or the concept of having the most toys wins. What "wins" is how we use the toys, selecting the right "toys". While we do have to keep the lights we also need to once in a while get into the sandbox and play.

Has anybody seen my rake or shovel?

Posted via web from Michael's Ramblings . . .

No comments: