Thursday, July 02, 2009

Making the Digital Switch - Hello FiOS

We made the switch this week from Comcast to Verizon FiOS mostly to avoid the rate increase after the promotional period ended and the need for increased web speeds. So besides getting use to the new menu options I have to say so far I don't miss the tiling that would occur on the digital channels and there are certainly more channels in High Def offered by Verizon. On the Internet front, I don't miss my old wireless router and this one has more range bringing the hammock and laptop together again. Up-speeds are in the 20mb range where as download speeds are in the 4 - 5 not great when you consider all the gaming happening, not by me of course but by the boys - yeah that's it, the boys. on the down side, Verizon didn't make it easy to access the router, in fact they don't even allow you to access the admin menu, at least they never shared the password. . . . here's what else I don't like, and in no particular order: - the guide menu is way to crowded, too many words - it takes much longer to figure out what channel I'm on. - no FX On-Demand. How the frak am I suppose to catch up on Rescue Me, Always Sunny - all the other twisted shows? and am I crazy, but FX is not available in High Def!!! - a week later I had to reset the Internet router - like in turn it off, press and hold the reset button. It just stopped working for no reason, that better NOT become a normal occurrence. - and now comes the worst infraction: Both AMC and WE owned by Cablevision - like Fx not only are neither of these stations on-demand but they are NOT available in High Def. Evidently the Dolans who own Cablevision hate Verizon. Hey Dolans, the hate goes both ways, as they say on Southpark "you bastards" bottom line - I can't finish catching up on Mad Men previous seasons and if I miss an episode life as I know it may end. I could care less about WE. - it was also noted that the little interface cable box that each TV HAS to have, requires an AC adaptor, more electricity AND it included ALL the subscription channels except the High Def. no wonder the 16 year old started camping out in his room late at night - Max at Nite was available as was HBO's Cathouse and Real Sex . . . not that I watched those shows, noooo, well at least he doesn't have access to them. Many more channels but surprisingly the same "there's nothing on" has been uttered more then once.  
Go figure.

Posted via email from Michael's posterous

No comments: