Friday, March 04, 2011

Motorola Xoom vs the Apple iPad - why competition will drive me mad and racing for the store

Media_httpwwweweekcom_sbonk

Don Reisinger did an interesting comparison of the benefits the Motorola Xoom has vs the iPad. The tablet market is ready to explode on this front and as you follow his piece it's clear Apple will have it's hands full trying to embrace new users. http://bit.ly/dTgYed

The one thing that will set all these devices apart however is going to be the APPS - who has the best access, who is developing them and for what device, which ones make the most sense for us as consumers and LOB folks to use. We keep hearing how there is an "app for everything" and with a plethora of devices about to drive us mad I worry about who will have access to the apps, how do we as technologist apply real solutions and more importantly how easy will they be to deploy.

At first it bugged me to no end that when using the iPad app store I was forced to use an iTunes account - but I understand the logic. If I have a device not connected to a billable service it makes sense to tap an existing provider like iTunes to process the revenue. It's an extra step, even for the freebies but I can respect the process. Should I be worried about the bean counters? At some point the cost of apps will need to be addressed on our mobile policies and who gets to in charge of that in our organizations?

Wondering how the Xoom will work in this field? Guess I'll find out - part of my evil plan for tech domination is to go out and test all the toys I can get my hands on. ( insert evil laugh here )

Michael Sola heads up the IT program at NWF. he's a blogger, invited presenter and speaker - he also rarely has to show ID to walk into a pub. Follow him at http://twitter.com/michaelsola : his views and comments are his own

No comments: