Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Accidental Technologist at #11NTC Me & Phil being mobile - Vol 2

Imag0691

Having my picture with Phil the Penguin was a lot of fun, I was hot just walking around and this Arctic friend had to have been melting!

Day Two was a continuation of Day One in the life of the Accidental Technologist at #11NTC except . . . . the Science Center was now available and with it came a slew of partners and solution providers that was for me a great time to meet and exchange ideas and see some cool solutions.

One idea in particular remains the Mobile front.  Mobile is plentiful.  Media and Mobile - Mobile is Media, or rather mobile brings media to an untethered audience.  The sessions focusing on this topic at 11NTC will touch on many of the mobile questions and standards the folks I have spoken with seem to crave.  I keep wondering though if standards are really out the window? For many of us we see mobile as a personal preference especially when it comes to device choices.

So what are we using mobile for and is there a way to move some of these mobile apps into the enterprise?

The two groups I spoke with who have taken mobile giving apps to new levels are Charity Dynamics and M-Give.  They are putting something as basic as the text to give programs we have seen groups like Red Cross and NWF use via mobile devices to work on web sites and as part of social networking apps.  http://apps.facebook.com/text-giving/campaigns/g9FlOWL6dpj/donations/new?sn=fb

I like this concept - think about how you could offer payment options other then credit cards for events or registration fees.  Plus I don't know how many times I'm online and I don't have my credit card handy but I know my cell phone! Maybe I'll ring up Phil the Penguin and see what he thinks.

Michael Sola heads up the IT program at NWF. he's a blogger, invited presenter and speaker - he also rarely has to show ID to walk into a pub. Follow him at http://twitter.com/michaelsola : his views and comments are his own

No comments: