Saturday, October 10, 2009

To Blog or Not to Blog . . .

There was a discussion recently that started with fellow tweet http://twitter.com/askdebra Debra Askanase where she posed the challenge: Why Uncensored Blogging is the Future of Corp Communications | Community Organizer 2.0 http://bit.ly/w2gub 

I liked the piece and re-tweeted it with a comment about how I had some misgivings related to uncensored blogging, mostly because of personal experience related to organizational strategy.  There needs to be a strategy, guidelines, flexibility - yes? and better yet does the blogger have to fear what they write?  

I think my feelings stem from my last gig where I blogged on the "no strategy" side of the fence.  My tech blog was not in line with the environmental or educational aspects of the organization.  I'd hear about the messages back and forth from management questioning why I was even permitted to blog.  Especially related to Debra's piece I was always in fear of what I had posted even though in my gut I felt I was trying to share a story, an experience related to how my technology program was impacting the community and the organization work being done.  

Writing is as much about style as it is content and having a personality come out of the written word I think connects the reader.  However if the "powers that be" don't buy into that concept of how blogging is a means of self expression and can be a great tool to message and share, then the blogger will quickly find themselves in a room with bright lights with a guy in a white coat and plyers.  It's one of the reasons it was time to move on as I felt the hierarchy didn't "get it" and being placed in the dog house was a shining example of how old school thinking still exists in this genre where there is no strategy.

Uncensored "corporate blogs" only works if the mentality and culture allows it to work.  Also it goes to trust, does the organization trust the staffer who will be blogging even if they go "off message" - which I whole heartedly support as I like a good ramble, it shows character and personality.  

Ramble on, and if possible try to ramble in 140 characters or less please.

Specialization without integration is fragmentation - Peter Forbes

Posted via email from Michael's posterous

No comments: