Sunday, August 08, 2010

Why Entertainment Will Drive the Next Checkin Craze

I can see this happening, geo-tagging where you are while out and about like Foursquare services provides is certainly a marketing and sharing tool but the idea of tracking, commenting and providing insight into viewing habits takes those little Nielson services to a whole new level.

I was surprised to see that 3 out 4 viewers are already online while watching their fave episode of Mad Men or what ever they are into. What I like about the concept is being able to not only share what you are watching but also comment or even better have a conversation with those that are doing the same.

The worry I have is do I have to build a separate network or can I just tap my existing ones? I find the Foursquare network building to be more self serving then actually something you can celebrate or build on. Perhaps the culture of entertainment as the Mashable piece http://bit.ly/aRweGA suggests will better engage the social networking environment especially with the iPad and mobile options.

It's just a matter of time before it all merges into one big melting pot - I'm just hoping my smart remote can control the new world.

- Michael Sola heads up the IT Dept at NWF. he's a blogger, invited presenter and speaker - he also rarely has to show ID to walk into a pub. Follow him at http://twitter.com/michaelsola : his views and comments are his own

Posted via email from Michael's Ramblings

No comments: