Monday, February 08, 2010

Time drain or Time savings - your call but Facebook is here to stay

I have been seeing some friends and family start turning off of Facebook and justifiably so.  

My 17 year old son for the longest time has been avoiding it, he keeps calling it evil.  A few weeks back he announces he joined but would keep a very limited friend list, limited family and more importantly a very guarded account.  All that came crashing down when a family member asked to be friends, he graciously declined trying to explain his desire for NOT using Facebook as an open door into his life and he then got blasted for his action.  He got so frustrated that he quit the program as it did exactly what he expected, caused friction and drama within the family.

It reminded me of the dinner table during a holiday meal where all members of the family are present and when conversations can get heated or combative but in this case it was with a keyboard and those pesky unemotional words.

We all know how our words without the one on one facial and tonal delivery can have different meaning.  For some it's a challenge to be "PC" with what they write and for others there is little filtering between brain and keyboard.   Others get so wrapped up in the social aspects they get lost in the games, the posts or just can't NOT comment on everything they see.  Now before anybody I know get's their panties in a knot, I'm not judging nor am I being critical.  

I am as many of you know a big fan of self expression.  I celebrate how easy it is for all of us to share our opinions and have a voice.  It's the story telling I am most interested in and whether it's Facebook or Twitter or any of the social networking genres it's the writing, listening, reading of the stories that enriches us all.  At least that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

I know how this can be a time drain, I know how frustrated and hurt people can get and I know how much time being online can take away from the day to day living that many of us did before this Web 2.0 world took off.  I have strict rules about using Facebook during the day - never on my work PC or during work hours.  Occasionally on the Berry but only in the "reading room" will I reply or contribute to FB.  Twitter on the other hand . . . all bets are off.  It's a huge time saving tool for me as I use it for research and getting fast and accurate news about the industry I work in.  But here too, the urge to get personable and comment is strong, I find myself falling into that "relationship" mode way to easy.

It's the personality aspect that I think drives how we use these tools.  I like to think I'm outgoing even though I spend a lot more time  behind the keyboard then in front.  But than again, I have so little time to get out and mingle or engage that the keyboard saves me time. Plus I like how when I do actually get face time I feel like all the small talk or catch up is over as I've been online and stalked your profile.

Multitasking has a whole new meaning when it comes to Web 2.0 . . . now if I could just master those little symbols for laughing, winking and sticking my tongue out without it looking like I'm giving the bird.  That was a joke, in case you didn't hear my tone!  :-0

Posted via email from Michael's Ramblings . . .

No comments: